Fryher Surname Ancestry Results
Our indexes 1000-1999 include entries for the spelling 'fryher'. In the period you have requested, we have the following 1 record (displaying 1 to 1):
These sample scans are from the original record. You will get scans of the full pages or articles where the surname you searched for has been found.
Your web browser may prevent the sample windows from opening; in this case please change your browser settings to allow pop-up windows from this site.
|Men of the 24th Regiment of Foot (2nd Warwickshire) fighting in South Africa
What is commonly called the Zulu War Medal was awarded to those British soldiers who fought in a series of conflicts in southern Africa from 1877 (the Kaffir War) through to 1879 (the Zulu War). In 1880 the various units submitted returns of the officers, non-commissioned officers and men 'entitled to the Medal for Military Operations in South Africa during 1877-8-9' and these 'medal rolls' are now in the National Archives. The returns are made with the information arranged in twelve columns:
1. Rank and name
2. Regimental number and rank at the time the medal was earned
3. Whether in possession of medal for previous wars
4. Whether engaged against the Gaikas, Galekas and other Kaffir tribes 1877-8
5. Whether engaged against Pokwane 1878
6. Whether engaged against the Griquas 1878
7. Whether engaged against the Zulus 1879
8. Whether engaged against Sekukuni as set forth in Par. 2. G. O.
9. Whether engaged against Moirosi's stronghold
10. Entitled to medal without clasp under Par. 4.
11. Serving with regiment, depot, dead, discharged, deserted, &c.
12. Notes and cross-references to the Adjutant-General's medal lists.
FRYHER. Cost: £8.00.
|Sample scan, click to enlarge|
Research your ancestry, family history, genealogy and one-name study by direct access to original records and archives indexed by surname.