£75.00 EBook Add to Basket >>

£90.00 DVD Add to Basket >>

Add this eBook to your basket to receive access to all 404 records.

Our indexes include entries for the spelling foulkes. In the period you have requested, we have the following 404 records (displaying 231 to 240): 

These sample scans are from the original record. You will get scans of the full pages or articles where the surname you searched for has been found.

Your web browser may prevent the sample windows from opening; in this case please change your browser settings to allow pop-up windows from this site.

Inhabitants of Birmingham (1850)
Francis White & Co.'s History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire for 1850 lists nobility, gentry, clergy, other private residents, farmers and traders, hundred by hundred and village by village, with separate sections for the large towns. This long alphabetical section lists inhabitants of Birmingham.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Inhabitants of Birmingham
 (1850)
Inhabitants of Liverpool (1850)
Over 1600 inhabitants of Liverpool signed this petition to the Mayor, 14 November 1850, to 'call a Public Meeting, for the purpose of adopting an Address to the Queen, praying her Majesty to take such steps as may be deemed necessary to maintain the prerogative of the Crown against all Papal aggression.'
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Inhabitants of Liverpool
 (1850)
Inhabitants of Tamworth in Warwickshire and Staffordshire (1850)
Francis White & Co.'s History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire for 1850 lists nobility, gentry, clergy, other private residents, farmers and traders, hundred by hundred and village by village, with separate sections for the large towns.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Inhabitants of Tamworth in Warwickshire and Staffordshire
 (1850)
Insolvents imprisoned for debt in England and Wales (1850)
Perry's Bankrupt and Insolvent Gazette, issued monthly, included brief notices of insolvents' estates surrendered to assignees. Each entry gives the surname and christian name of the insolvent, trade and address, followed by the name of the prison. This is the index to the names of the insolvents, from the issues from January to December 1850.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Insolvents imprisoned for debt in England and Wales
 (1850)
Gentlemen amateur rowers (1835-1851)
Rowing was one of the English sports covered in detail in the pages of Bell's Life in London, and from these was compiled a compendium called the Aquatic Oracle. The text is divided into two main parts: Gentlemen Amateurs and Watermen. All the entries are cross-referenced, and use these abbreviations: w., won; l., lost; b., beat; bn., beaten; sc. ma., scullers' match; o. ma., oars match; do. sc. ma., double scullers' match; 4 o.ma., 4 oars match; 8 o. ma., 8 oars match; sk., stroke; cox., coxswain; as., a side; Oxon., Oxonian; V. to P., Vauxhall to Putney; W. to P., Westminster to Putney; P. to M., Putney to Mortlake; M. to P., Mortlake to Putney; dis., distance.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Gentlemen amateur rowers
 (1835-1851)
Deaths, Marriages, News and Promotions (1851)
Death notices and obituaries, marriage and birth notices, civil and military promotions, clerical preferments and domestic occurrences, as reported in the Gentleman's Magazine. Mostly from England and Wales, but items from Ireland, Scotland and abroad.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Deaths, Marriages, News and Promotions
 (1851)
National ArchivesInhabitants of Newington in Surrey (1851)
The 1851 census return for St Mary Newington, Surrey, registration district: St Peter Walworth sub-district: enumeration district 12: described as: "All that Part of the Parish of St. Mary Newington, which Comprises The South Side of Providence St. from the School to Walworth Common, North side of Walworth Common to Burdett St., East side of Burdett St., East side of Ewhurst St. to Clandon St., Clandon St. from Ewhurst St. to Providence St. (both sides), Including Clandon Court, Clifford St. (both sides), Providence Place, Waterloo St. (both sides) and John St. (both sides) to Burdett St." This area lay in the ecclesiastical district of St Peter Walworth, and in the borough of Lambeth. HO 107/1567. The addresses listed in the actual returns are 1 to 4 and 7 to 9 Providence Street (including Lime Cottage); 5 and 6 South Street; 1 to 8 Gloucester Place; 1 to 6 Providence Place; 9 Hour Glass Lane; 1 to 16 Clifford Street; 1 to 19 Burdett Street; 1 to 13 and 19 to 22 and 101 Waterloo Street; The Village Maid beershop; 1 to 8 and 14 and 15 (Saint) John Street; 1 to 11 Ewhurst Street; and 1 to 13, 19 to 30 and 68 to 70 Clandon Street.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Inhabitants of Newington in Surrey
 (1851)
National ArchivesInhabitants of Southwark in Surrey (1851)
The 1851 census return for St George the Martyr, Southwark, registration district: London Road sub-district: enumeration district 15: described as: "Webber Street commencing at Wood's (corner of Webber Row) to Ross's the end of Parish - Barron's Place (both sides) - John's Buildings - Herbert's Buildings - Chester Place - Barron's Court - Laurie Terrace - Barkham Terrace - King Edward Street (both sides) - and Yorkshire School." This area lay in the parish of St George the Martyr, Southwark. The addresses listed in the actual returns are 1 to 6 and 20 Webber Street, 1 to 28 Herbert's Buildings, Half Way House, 1 to 7 Johns Terrace, 1 to 20 Barrons Place, 1 to 8 Johns Buildings, 1 to 5 Chester Place, 1 to 6 Barron's Court, 1 to 23 Laurie Terrace, 1 to 17 Barkham Terrace (with East Lodge and West Lodge), 1 to 11 King Edward Street, 1 to 16 Price's Terrace, and the Yorkshire Society's School (Westminster Road).
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Inhabitants of Southwark in Surrey
 (1851)
Traders and professionals in London (1851)
The Post Office London Directory for 1851 includes this 'Commercial and Professional Directory', recording about 80,000 individuals.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Traders and professionals in London
 (1851)
Owners of Merchantmen (1852-1853)
Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping was issued annually, listing ships that had been surveyed preparatory to being insured. This is the register issued 1 July 1852 and then annotated as ships were re-surveyed through to 30 June 1853. The ships were numbered by the first letter of their name, and then by number alphabetically through the ships' names and within ships of the same name alphabetically by surname of the master. After the name of the ship there is the type of vessel (Bk, barque; Bg, brig; Bn, brigantine; Cr, cutter; Dr, dogger; G, galliott; H, hoy; K, ketch; Lr, lugger; Pol, polacre; S, ship; Sk, smack; Sp, sloop; Sr, schooner; St, schoot; Stm, steamer; Sw, snow; Yt, yacht), master's name (as at the time of the last survey); tonnage; place and year of build; owners; port belonging to; destined voyage; number of years first assigned; and character for hull and stores (e. g., A 1), with the year or month (e. g., 50 for 1850, or 2 for February 1852) of inspection. Underneath some entries details were given of construction and repair, with year - s., sheathed; d., doubled; C., coppered; I. B., iron bolts; c. f., copper fastened; M., sheathed with marine metal; Y. M., sheathed with yellow metal; G., sheathed with galvanised iron; Z., sheathed with zinc; F., felt; C. lm., coppered to light water or ballast mark; C. T., copper bolts substituted for treenails; Cl., clincher; len., lengthened; lrp., large repairs; trp., thorough repairs; Drp., damage repaired; ND., new deck; N TSds., new top-sides; W. C., wales cased; NW., new wales; NB., new bottom; NK., new keel; plk, Plank; N Klsn, new kelson; alm. rb., almost rebuilt; pt O. M., part old materials (timbers or plank); Srprs, some repairs - and, in italics, the timber of the ship is described - A, ash; B B, black birch; Bh, beech; C, cedar; E, elm; F, fir; G, gum; Ght, greenheart; Hk, hackmatack; Hm, hemlock; L, locust; Lh, larch; L O, live oak; M, mahogany; P, pine; P P, pitch pine; R P, red pine; Y P, yellow pine; S, spruce; T, teak; Tam, tamarac; W H, witch hazel; W O, white oak. The sample scan is from the main list. The third column, reserved for masters' names, is not particularly wide; with short surnames, an initial will be given; but longer surnames omit the initials, and even longer surnames are abbreviated. This is the index to owners in the main list. Often a ship would have changed hands by the time of re-survey, and the new owners' names are added in slightly smaller type under the original owners in the seventh column. These new owners are also included in this index. It should be borne in mind that the owners in the main list are those at the time of the respective previous survey for each ship, not necessarily as of 1 July 1852.
Sample scan, click to enlarge
Owners of Merchantmen
 (1852-1853)
Previous page1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41Next page

Research your ancestry, family history, genealogy and one-name study by direct access to original records and archives indexed by surname.